Adopt an attitude of experimentation and embark on a journey of A/B testing to grow your business faster. However, you need to create different variations of not only your website but also its elements and A/B test each version to find out the best-performing one that offers the best conversion rates.
What is A/B Testing?
A/B testing, also referred to as split testing, is a randomized experimentation procedure wherein different versions of a variable such as a web page, elements on the page, etc., are made accessible to different segments of visitors to the website at the same time. This helps the website owner to determine the version that creates not only the maximum impact but also drives business results.
Essentially, it helps to eliminate all conjecture as regards website optimization. Besides, it enables optimizers in making data-backed decisions. In A/B testing, while A refers to the control or original variable, B refers to a variation or version of the same variable. The winner is the version that drives the business outcomes in a positive direction. Implementing the winning version on the website for all of your target audience hastens the process of optimization and increases the ROI.
Why Should You Do A/B Testing?
A/B testing is one of the key aspects of the conversion rate optimization (CRO) process. It helps you gather both quantitative and qualitative insights about your audience such as their behaviour, engagement rate, pain points, etc. The three main reasons for doing A/B testing are improving:
In the product discovery phase, you would want to test ideas and hypotheses quickly. In such a situation, the best option is to perform client-side A/B testing as you get to know the outcomes the very next day.
Product discovery adds value to the company, product team, and customers by delivering something that they consider important for them. Furthermore, you can save valuable resources by pursuing only the development of products that your audience wants. As A/B testing enables the product discovery process, you can be sure that you are on the right track.
A/B testing is useful in researching and understanding aspects related to user experience. In fact, large social media platforms such as Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram employ A/B testing to improve user experiences and streamline their services. A/B testing helps you understand how even small changes can impact user behaviour. It also helps you decide the design to be implemented and confirms whether a new design will work or not. This means A/B testing can be used for how your product’s different elements are impacting user experience. Tweaking these elements helps to increase your conversion rates.
If the visitors coming to your website are leaving quickly, then performing an A/B test on the copy, headlines of your blog post, images, etc., helps you to clearly understand the best way in which you can catch the attention of your visitors. This reduces your bounce rates. With A/B testing, it is easy to figure out the kind of content that enhances conversion. In short, this marketing tactic can be used to determine what works with your target audience and what doesn’t.
A/B Testing Tools
A wide range of A/B testing tools is available today. However, it is important that you identify ones that can help you improve conversions and customer experience across your digital properties. Having said that, here is a list of A/B testing tools that you can experiment with:
Each user is different and you need to cater to their individual requirements. Optimize allows you to try out different website variations to find out how they perform against an objective specified by you. This enables you to ensure an optimal experience for each of your user groups. Besides, the A/B testing tool helps you identify the variant leader.
- Google Optimize is free to use
- It is easy to use
- It is integrated with Google Analytics
- Can’t upload new images as the free tool does not allow storage of large amounts of data
- Doesn’t allow the use of Google Analytics segments
- Only 5 tests can be run at a time with limitations on goals and multivariate testing
Free A/B testing tool.
Adobe Target, an experience cloud solution from Adobe, provides everything that you need to personalize your audiences’ experiences. It helps you maximize revenues from your mobile and websites, applications, social media platforms, and other digital channels. The AI-powered testing tool allows you to evaluate user experience. With this tool, you can find one customer from a million and provide them with what they want.
- A/B testing can be done via a visual composer
- Integrated with Adobe Analytics and provides robust reports
- Allows powerful segmentation to conduct targeted tests based on multiple personas and factors
- Training needed to effectively use the powerful A/B testing tool
- Limited native reporting capabilities
- Integration with Adobe Analytics ‘A4T’ is needed to generate robust reports
- Support available only for off-shore ticketing system
$29.99per month per license
Optimizely is a digital experience platform available as Software as a Service. The tool enables A/B and multivariate testing, website personalization, digital commerce, and web content management as well as offers feature toggle capabilities.
- Enables the development and building of new website content
- Helpful in organizing website architecture
- Helps identify issues and resolve them quickly
- Enables effective media assets management
- Helps deliver experiences in agile, dynamic means
- Enables customers to create new templates
- Template, block, and functionality changes are expensive
- Management of URL redirects or generation of batch redirects during major architectural improvements is not very efficient
- Language translation is cumbersome
Visual Website Optimizer (VWO) is a tool that enables marketers, product managers, and analysts to conduct A/B tests and geo-behavioural targeted campaigns. With VWO, you can create and test multiple versions of your website and find out which version is the leader. The results of tests can be validated through statistical methods.
- The in-app editor enables making simple changes to test page variables
- Helpful for performing landing page experiments: A/B, multi-variant, etc.
- No setup fee
- Free trial available
- Test categorization is difficult
- Visual editor not effective with all sites
- Start-ups: $49 per month billed annually or $59 billed monthly
- SMBs: $129 per month billed annually or $155 billed monthly
- Enterprises: $999 per month billed annually
#5: Oracle Maximiser
The A/B testing tool Oracle Maxymiser comes with advanced website testing, in-session personalization, real-time behavioural targeting, and product recommendation features across websites as well as mobile apps. Besides, the tool offers real-time personalization capabilities when running marketing B2B and B2C campaigns to improve customer experiences and get to the market faster.
- Supports a wide range of testing campaigns
- Apart from websites, enables the testing of mobile apps
- Does not offer free trials
- Access to the tool is available only when users subscribe to Oracle Marketing Cloud
Starting from $2,000 per month
Omniconvert enables eCommerce companies that want to become customer-centric to grow faster. The tool helps them optimize their customer journey by enabling data-driven decisions. eCommerce companies can become more customer-centric by using advanced segmentation algorithms, A/B testing tools, and web personalization as well as web survey features offered by Omniconvert.
- Enables conversion optimization
- Enables website personalization
- It is easy to use
- The learning curve is longer
- The onboarding process is slightly cumbersome
- You can start using the tool for FREE
- For SMBs: $2,999 per year
- For enterprises: Custom quote
If you are looking to implement CRO campaigns, then you must consider using this tool. Convert is a mid-level testing platform that comes with an affordable price tag. It is best suited for companies that want to scale up their testing processes and programs. Convert offers support services through email, chat, and live calls.
- A good option for professionals
- The only GDPR-compliant A/B testing tool
- Loads fast
- No flicker
- An expensive monthly plan, but cheaper than some other tools
- 15-day free trial
- $149 per month billed at $1,791 per annum
- $224 per month billed at $2,691 per annum
- $524 per month billed at $6,291 per annum
#8: AB Tasty
If you are looking for AI-powered experimentation, product optimization, and personalization, AB Tasty may be the right tool for you. The tool has catered to the needs of 39,000 websites so far. Besides, over 18,000 websites are presently nurturing their growth with the help of AB Tasty.
- Excellent customer support
- Easy to use, flexible, and devoid of technical issues
- Some modules/features need to be improved
NA on the company website
#9: Zoho PageSense
Zoho PageSense offers all the tools that you need to find out what works and what does not on your website, why visitors behave in a specific way, or how you can convert a visitor into your customer. The personalization and conversion optimization platform helps you measure key website metrics, understand visitors’ behaviour, and ensure a personalized website experience for them. This boosts conversions.
- The tool allows users to easily perform many different tests on websites
- It allows visitors to interact with websites without any hassles
- It comes with a comprehensive set of features
- Affordable price
- The interface is not very user friendly
- Support is slow and frustrating at times
- 15-day free trial
- Analyze: $16 per month (annual billing) or $20 per month (monthly billing)
- Engage: $23 per month (annual billing) or $29 per month (monthly billing)
- Optimize: $39 per month (annual billing) or $49 per month (monthly billing)
#10: Hubspot A/B Testing Kit
The HubSpot A/B testing kit works like a guide for split A/B testing. Features unique to this tool are email split testing, tracking template, significance calculator, and data analysis. Integrating Kissmetrics to HubSpot enhances its functionality.
- Ease of Use
- Mobile Responsiveness
- Rich Feature Set
- Regular updates
- Free and responsive templates
- Scaling is difficult
- Not suitable for large companies
- Doesn’t support eCommerce
HubSpot A/B testing kit is absolutely free.
Unbounce allows you to build, test, and publish landing pages without the help of a software or IT department. Furthermore, developers can experiment with different landing page content and designs. Features of the Unbounce A/B testing platform include a drag-and-drop editor, mobile responsive templates, real-time statistics, customizable forms, etc.
- The creation of customized landing pages increases ROI
- Users with experience in design can create landing pages
- The smart Traffic feature eliminates uncertainties related to testing landing page variations
- Boosts conversion rates
- It becomes expensive in the case of standalone products
- Not suitable for site production
- Learning curve is steep
- 14-dat free trial
- Launch: $90 per month ($81 per month for annual billing) 1 domain
- Optimize: $135 per month ($122 per month for annual billing) 5 domains
- Accelerate: $225 per month ($203 per month for annual billing) 10 domains
- Concierge: $575 per month ($518 per month for annual billing) more than 25 domains
Convertize, acquired by Glassbox, offers innovative software to businesses for A/B testing so that they can increase conversions at the lowest costs. Features of Convertize include Auto-Pilot, Hybrid Statistics, Lightning Mode, Powerful Integration, and Smart Editor.
- Easy to install
- Comes with a customization editor
- Slightly expensive
Starts from $59 per month
UsabilityHub is one of the leading remote user research platforms. It eliminates the need for guesswork in design decisions as validates different designs with real users. Marketers can fine-tune messaging, landing pages, and creativity and thereby optimize their conversion rates in product launches and marketing campaigns.
- Well-presented results
- Enables downloading of raw response data
- Help essential for less experienced users
- Inability to switch off response collection
- Free trial available
- Basic: $89 per month
- Pro: $199 per month
- Enterprise: Custom pricing
- Discount for annual payment
Apptimize is a provider of a platform for mobile application optimization. The features also include A/B testing, phased rollout, feature toggling, and analytics. In addition, it allows you to track your users when they move between channels, enabling you to provide a consistent experience to your audience across platforms.
- Easy to use software for A/B and performance testing
- Heps test Android and iOS mobile applications
- High learning curve
- It takes a long time to familiarize the interface
- Slightly daunting to use all features
- Standard: Free account with a 30-day full feature trial
- Advanced: Contact Apptimize
- Enterprise: Contact Apptimize
#15: Dynamic Yield
The SaaS solution Dynamic Yield empowers marketers, publishers, and retailers to test, transform, and manage a prospect’s purchase journey; and drive engagement without the support of the IT department. The unified customer engagement platform enables marketers to drive revenues by personalizing customer interactions across multiple channels. Furthermore, the platform uses an advanced engine to effect customer segmentation in real-time.
- No setup fee
- Free trial available
- Helpful account managers
- Onsite campaign targeting
- Training is essential to use the platform effectively
- Reporting is not very exhaustive
- Not Available
Obviyo (formerly HiConversion) provides you with all the tools that you need to put the right products in front of the right buyers at the most appropriate time. If you have a Shopify store, the platform allows you to unlock its revenue potential with the help of Growth Bots. Furthermore, its Hyper-personalization feature enables you to intelligently adapt to customers in real-time. This means you will win new clients faster, be able to sell a wider range of products, and drive profitability.
- Easy to install
- Intelligent product recommendation that enables upselling, cross-selling, etc.
- Helpful customer support team
- Hyper-personalization possible
- Too advanced for certain stores as it uses product recommendation technology that is similar to that used by Amazon
- Starter: Free
- Essential: $195 per month
- Growth: $495 per month
- Enterprise: $1450 per month
Kameleoon, an AI-powered platform for A/B testing, empowers developers, marketers, and product managers with the tools that help them enhance visitor experiences on their websites. The platform helps each of your digital asset visitors with personalized messaging depending on their Conversion Score determined by Kameleoon. It offers a full-stack server-side solution that helps you in running tests.
- Kameleoon’s graphical editor helps design A/B tests without coding
- Site elements can be added, deleted, or modified quickly
- Segment builder is very effective
- Takes time to become familiar with the platform
Not available on site
Irrespective of your current position on the web, many HTML embedding, and integrations offered by Leadformly, an advanced lead generation tool, will enable you to leverage the full automation potential of the software you are currently using. Leadformly allows you to create forms that are extremely helpful to your audience. You can create email subscription forms, quizzes, scheduling forms, one-on-one coaching session forms, and much more.
- It is easy to use the drag-and-drop editor and customize forms
- Over 1,000 integrations possible
- It is very cost-effective
- Best suited for B2B organizations and those with high-value leads
- Not suited for beginners or start-ups with low conversions
- $179 per month to be paid annually
Evolv, a new generation SaaS testing tool, combines machine learning algorithms and conversion optimization. It allows you to perform goal-oriented experimentation and covers the purchasing journey of a customer from the beginning and helps optimize elements such as button styling, copy, background images, image order, timing and slider treatment, and much more. The biggest advantage of using Evolv is its ability to enable large-scale multivariate testing.
Pros and Cons
- Unable to find information on pros and cons
- Evolv provides prices on request.
SiteSpect, a feature-rich solution, is best suited for large, high-volume websites. The packages offered by the company include ROI analysis by an expert from SiteSpect and your marketing team’s training. The A/B testing and optimization tool enables you to test many ideas. It allows you to compare the different versions of a page and determine the conversion factor. Furthermore, it supports frameworks, including Angular and React.
- A/B Testing of software functionality
- Helps optimize site performance and user experience
- Enables scalability and ensures data integrity
- Dashboard is not very user-friendly and interactive
- Limited third-party options deployment
- Complex to use and sufficient help documentation not available
The A/B testing platform Qubit helps you in validating your understanding of your customers. It also allows you to find out the impact of personalizing your website and optimizing the performance of a key landing page. The key features of Qubit include targeted segmentation of visitors and the generation of quantitative and qualitative data on visitor behaviour.
- Support from the account manager is fantastic
- Qubit makes suggestions/recommendations to improve on your ideas
- Allows website event tracking
- Simple mode editor glitches
- It takes a while to build tests
Not available on the company website